The Vancouver Water Ski Club will be hosting and adaptive water ski clinic for those with different types of disabilities.There is only room for 10 skiers, and we operate on a first come, first serve basis, so register soon if you are interested.Please share this information with anyone who you think might be interested in getting involved.
- Sunday July 10
- Be at the pickup point at 9:30am sharp!
- We plan to be finished and back to the drop off point around 4pm
The pickup/dropoff point is the Deep Cove government dock, where you will be barged to the Vancouver Water Ski Club site.
Heading west on the freeway from Vancouver toward Horseshoe Bay, take the 3rd exit (exit 22b) after the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge (Second Narrows Bridge) to Mount Seymour Parkway. Stay right off the exit, and you will be heading east on the Parkway. Continue for about 5 miles to where it intersects with Dollarton Highway at a set of lights at the bottom of a steep hill. Take a left, and follow Dollarton all the way to Deep Cove. There's a turnaround at the end, where you can take a right that leads to areas where you can park. Note also that a driver can drive right down to the government dock where there is a loading zone (you would take the first left after the right at the turnaround).
The government dock is located beside Deep Cove Canoe and Kayak Rentals. It's all pretty close there, so you can't miss it. You can wait near the end of the float for the barge to arrive.
Cost per participant will be $45, but may be reduced if we obtain additional funding. Lunch will be free for participants and their helpers. Payment can be in cash or by cheque (to "Vancouver Water Ski Club") payable on arrival to the event. If others will be joining you please let us know how many people from your group require lunch.
All guests must sign a waiver:
What to Expect
- a barge ride to the ski site (wheelchair users will be lifted on to the barge in their chairs)
- a short orientation to go over safety issues, hand signals, equipment
- sit ski equipment, a boom (rigid bar that extends to the side of the boat so that persons with visual impairments and others who would ski standing up can use the boom for support and remain close enough to the boat to communicate with instructors)
- ski vests will be provided. Wet suits are also available, but if you have your own, please bring it.
- a quick in-water test to make sure that you are able to wiggle out of the ski in case you fall, able to turn yourself upright and get your face out of the water, and comfortable in the water wearing a ski vest. Because the sit ski is quite buoyant, it floats up from under you and can submerge your face in the water if you are too tight in the seating frame to get out or if you don't have the ability to push yourself out of it.
- instruction for getting up on the sit ski, or on two skis
- side skiers to help you in and on the water
- at least 1 set on the sit ski or stand up skis. Success rate using the sit ski is quite high. You don't need to be able to hold the rope to get up as it can be attached to the ski with a quick release on the boat so that the spotter can drop the skier if need be. If time permits, you will get a second ski.
- optional lunch for each skier and people that join them (please notify us in advance of the numbers of lunches required)
- Lots of laughs and a ton of fun!
What to Bring
- full change of clothes, a towel (maybe 2 so that you can put one on your chair to keep the cushion dry)
- an extra cushion as one might get wet
- a warm jacket and rain gear (just in case)
- sun screen
- lots of water
- your lunch if you do not wish us to supply it
- your enthusiasm!
If inclement weather requires us to either cancel or postpone the event, you will be notified that morning. Normally, rain won't cause us to cancel, but extreme conditions such as high winds or driving rain can make it unsafe to continue.
If you need to cancel for any reason, please let us know in advance as we have a list of participants and the barge driver will not want to leave without those that have indicated they will attend.